Monday, June 22, 2015

THE STEERING COLUMN

Left Medora, North Dakota this morning and entered eastern Montana, more dirt roads and an abundance of open countryside.  Yesterday I was going up a hill and the car was gradually slowing down until it stopped completely.  We pushed it off to the side of the road and I removed the carburetor jet again which is a pretty simple procedure - didn't even have to remove the carburetor.  All the dust on these roads had stopped up the jet completely again.  I poked a torch tip cleaner through it, blew through it, and it was ready to go again - a ten minute fix.   

Today we were on mostly hard roads - no further problems. 

North Dakota and Montana are nothing if not windy - sometimes it is a little bit of a battle keeping the car on the road.  Shortly after we got on the road this morning, I sensed something was wrong with my eyes.  I had trouble focusing on things at any distance.  I figured I was probably sleepy or the wind was just irritating my eyes.  I didn't figure I could get cataracts quick like that.  Twenty miles down the road I realized that the North Dakota wind had blown out one of my eye glass lens.  I told Betty about my blurred vision and she looked at me and laughed - I had a sunglass lens on one side and an open window on the other.  She loaned me her prescription sunglass driving glasses - her prescription is pretty close to mine.  I guess I will wear them the rest of the trip and I just love the fancy jewels on the temple!  Now when we stop somewhere I pull the sunglasses off quickly before a crowd gathers.

------AND THAT'S ALL PART OF MOTORING---- 

No comments:

Post a Comment