Saturday, June 20, 2015

THE STEERING COLUMN

Last evening the car didn't start right away even though I had done my little "starting ritual" as I am supposed to, so I decided to drain a little gasoline out of the carburetor by way of the drain cock on the bottom of the bowl.  I drained some out into a clear plastic cup.  The clear plastic revealed that I had an eighth of an inch of prime, tillable North Dakota topsoil in the bottom of the cup. There was a little water on top and even some gasoline had found it's way into the carburetor.  So this is why it wouldn't start!  I didn't try to fix it that night but rather waited til early this morning.

If it had been just dirt in the jet, I would have simply removed the jet and cleaned it out, but under the circumstances, it seemed best to remove the carburetor.  I then transformed the bathroom in Room 117 into a carburetor repairs shop.  I laid out thick layers of newspaper on the vanity and smuggled the carburetor in by the back door.  This carburetor shop had good lighting for shaving, primping or cleaning crud out of a carburetor.  It even had a handy exhaust fan to remove gasoline fumes.  The E-M-F carburetor is relatively easy to take apart so I dismantled it completely, removed all crud and reassembled it and put the carb back on the car.  It now starts on the first or second pull and down the road we go again.

----AND THAT'S ALL PART OF MOTORING----

No comments:

Post a Comment