Thursday, September 24, 2015

THE STEERING COLUMN

The car has performed amazingly well for nearly four months, but we have put about 10,400 miles on it up to now and that has caused some wear on it, particularly on the engine.  Since my engine rattle has been gradually been getting worse, last Tuesday night I decided to pull both engine pans off and have a look inside.  The first thing I noticed in the pans was a generous sprinkling of coarse aluminum filings.  In addition, there were small rows/piles of powder-fine babbitt filings.  That, of course, is not good news. 

I was able to grab hold of each connecting rod and move it in all directions and it revealed that the rod bearings were quite loose, but worse than that, was the fact that the pistons had a great deal of side to side play and up and down play.  The pistons appeared to be worn, not only where they contact the cylinders, but also where the wrist pins fit into them.  I removed the connecting rod caps and removed all the shims that were in place in order to tighten the bearings.  That part of the problem I was able to improve.  As far as the loose and sloppy pistons, there just isn't anything I can do for them on the road.  There is nothing broken, they are just well worn.

The car is losing compression and, in turn, losing power.  I have reduced my speed to keep it under 30 mph and I am having to downshift more often on hills, but we are still going.

Tonight, we have 300 miles to go and my primary concern is that the pistons hold together until I get home.  If they were to break or if a connecting rod broke, it would likely do major damage.  

Yes, I could call for a trailer and have the car picked up and carried home, but in the spirit of "finishing the race", we are going to push on.  We have had over 9,000 hits on this website and I know a lot of people are watching and rooting for us.  If all goes well over the next 2 and a half days, we pull into our driveway at 2:00 sharp on Sunday afternoon.

....... AND THAT'S ALL PART OF MOTORING......... 

No comments:

Post a Comment