Saturday, September 5, 2015

MAJOR CORRECTION TO MY BLOG!!

In Mosquero, NM, Joe and I spent the night with Arlene and Robert Aragon, NOT Cordova.  My apologies to Arlene and Robert.  I don't know how I came up with the wrong last name.  Arlene and Robert are two of the sweetest and most generous people we have ever met.  We will be waiting to hear from you both that you are coming to PA to visit.  I look forward to showing you our beautiful part of the country.

I wanted to post a few pictures from the New Mexico area after we left Mosquero.  I think they can give you a sense of some of the beautiful area we went through and some of the challenges we faced.


One of our more challenging days.  The grasslands were lush and sunflowers lined the roads.  Cattle ranchers in the area had great pasture land.  The road, however, was "interesting" in some places.


I think this is some of the most beautiful country we have traveled through.  You can see the changes time has wrought on the land and you get a sense of what a small part we are in both the span of time in the universe and how small our everyday problems are when you look at the grand scheme of life.

  
On one of our back roads, we passed this abandoned tourist court.  Times have changed and the old roads have been by-passed by new and more modern highways, but just think of the people that used to stay here and the stories of their lives.  I always wonder when I see old abandoned buildings.  There is certainly a history here, if only we knew.  If I knew, I would record it for posterity.



When we got to Oklahoma City, the first order of business was to clean the car!! Remember all those dirt roads we traveled?  Joe said the dirt was caked on like it had been "tarred and feathered".  He was assisted by Glidden Tour Director, Jeff Lyttle. Jeff and his family and tour committee really put on a tremendous tour.  There were about 130 cars in attendance - the oldest was a 1903 Cadillac Rear Entrance Tonneau, a really cute little car. 

Sunday was an optional tour day which Joe and I participated in.  The venues we visited were great but the roads were atrocious!!!  We went to the Science Museum of Oklahoma and the 45th Infantry Museum.  The Science Museum was a very "hands on" type of place.  My favorite was the Infantry Museum as WWII history is very special to me because of my Dad's service.  They had a fantastic collection of helicopters, artillery and tanks and planes - just an amazing place.  I was fascinated by their collection of infantry ribbons, patches and other artifacts from WWI, WWII and the Korean and Vietnam eras.

More tomorrow about the rest of the Glidden Tour.  It officially started on Monday and ended yesterday, Friday.  They kept us busy from early morning til late afternoon and some evenings.  

It has been in the low to mid 90's all week and the humidity steadily increased as the week went on.  Most of the driving was in town several of the days and the buildings seemed to trap the heat and humidity.  The roads were the worst we had encountered since Ann Arbor, MI and we have traveled a lot of roads on this trip.  By the end of the day you were "beat"! 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment