Thursday, August 20, 2015

Santa Fe is an extremely old town, - the earliest inhabitants were Pueblo Indians what were living in what is now the Old Town about 1000 AD.  The Spanish came in the 1600's and Santa Fe as the town we know it began.  The area went through many transitions - a Pueblo revolution, back to Spanish rule, then US rule.  Through all, Santa Fe has survived and thrived. The Old Santa Fe Trail came through town and so did Historic Route 66. 

Old Town Santa Fe was busy with tourists but the architecture and artwork was worth wading through the masses.  Joe and I separated to cover more ground as our pace of strolling and shopping and exploring differs and our interests in art differs.  I am always looking for the unusual items that people have made in jewelry and fiber arts (weavings) and he is interested in things mechanical and more practical.  I love adobe buildings and some pretty "far out" artwork and he is attracted to more realistic artwork.


  
I visited the Cathedral Basilica of St Francis of Assisi in downtown Santa Fe which is the 3rd of three catholic churches built on the same site.  The earliest was built in 1626.  The docent in the church said that there were confirmed to be 3 layers of graves beneath the floor of the sanctuary but that they were not able to identify any of the bodies. 




The inside of the church was stunning and off to the side was a small chapel where I happened to witness a statue of the Virgin Mary being removed very carefully to be redressed in native american garments for an upcoming festival.  I sat quietly with a group of about 10 older ladies as they watched her being removed from the top of this display and then taken back into a  back room to be redressed and later restored to her place.

After a day of sightseeing and shopping, we moved on today to Taos to the north along what is called "The High Road to Taos".  This is a 56 road which winds through high desert, the Sangre de Cristo mountains, small farms and old Spanish land-grant properties and through small villages and pueblos.  There are a number of small towns with art galleries and weaving and wood carving studios.

The car was sluggish on the long grades but we figured it was probably altitude issues.  Joe stopped several times to check both water in the radiator and oil levels and corrected as needed.  While he did his checks, I was checking out the rocks along the side of the road.  I can't resist.  I found a few to add to my collection ( a box that is about the size of a shoe box)!  This is really rough for a confirmed rock hound. I could fill up the back of the car and I am restricted to being extremely selective and picking up small rocks for my "shoe box". There is some satisfaction, though, in trying to find the best "small" rock I can find.



Not far out of Santa Fe along the "High Road" we passed what they call "Camel Rock".  He really did look like a camel lying down.  We were impressed.


One of my favorite stops was the Santurario de Chimayo which was built about 1815. The church complex is quiet and shaded by catalpa trees with a gurgling, running brook in front of the church.  The inner courtyard is a cemetary and the simple interior of the santucary is cool in the hottest weather due to the thick adobe walls. There is a small chapel on the grounds that is lined with crutches and pictures that have been left by pilgrims from all over the US and Mexico.  Easter is especially significant as up to a thousand pilgrims visit.  

    
Another portion of the Chimayo complex with rosaries and candles.

Further along the highway in Chimayo was the Ortega Weaving Studio which is home to Eighth Generation weavers.  It is believed that the Navajos learned to weave their rugs from the weavers in Chimayo.  As a weaver, I was fascinated with their work and carefully scrutinized the setup of their loom and the threading of the heddles.  I think I will try to duplicate their work when I get home.  Having only been weaving one short year, my attempt to duplicate their work of 8 generations will probably come off a far second, but I will do my best.


Scenery along the "High Road to Taos.  The Sangre de Cristo Mountains were beautiful.



One of the high mountain meadows along the "High Road".  I watched for elk and deer but no luck.


Another small church along the High Road.  Communities were small and quaint and for the most part, buildings were adobe and the pace of life slow.


This is an outdoor oven called a "horno" which you see in the yards of many homes along the "High Road".  These ovens speak to me of New Mexico.  They are one of my favorite sights.


I spotted this painting of an old adobe wall and blue door in a galley in Chimayo.  I loved it but I know Joe doesn't because it is more impressionist and he likes art to be realistic.  Oh well, I have a photo of it so can still remember and enjoy it.


After a day traveling along the "High Road to Taos", we entered Taos late in the afternoon.  As we were scouting out downtown Taos, I saw this painted on the wall of a building.  I love it as it colors "scream" southwest to me.  Joe looked at it and said he would like it if the horse was sorrel, the sky was blue and the ground was brown. In other words - realistic.  To me a green horse was quite acceptable.

Tomorrow we get to explore Taos and the surrounding area.  

No comments:

Post a Comment