Wednesday, August 19, 2015

I believe the little computer "devils" have departed after taking the laptop to both Best Buys' Geek Squad for 2 hours and Staples for 5 minutes.  Best Buy couldn't figure out where Staples in Albuquerque had moved my picture files after 2 hours of working with the laptop.  ?????!!!! I took it to Staples in Santa Fe and the gentleman there figured it out in less than 2 minutes, so in and out of the store in 5 minutes.  It is sure nice when you finally get someone who knows what they are doing.  I have been about to pull all my hair out with frustration for several days now.  Clay, I am now calling my electronic device, "That DAMN thing" too.   Maybe we need to be sure both our devices never get together and procreate many more little "Damn things".

Now, to bring you up to date picture-wise since I can now FIND them again.





This was the view of our road headed out across western NM after leaving Springerville, AZ a couple of days ago.  That road just went on and on, but was through amazing scenery.  This road cut was through a hill that was capped by an old lava flow (the dark rock on top on each side).  The valley below was grassy and studded with juniper while off in the distance you can see the road begin to climb and a mesa (flat topped mountain)  to the left.  Everywhere you looked there was evidence of volcanic activity eons ago.  Some of the high hills were, in fact, cinder cones.



   
This is a picture taken near the little New Mexico town of Pie Town.  Yes, you've got that right, Pie Town.  Amazing scenery.  I love it!



Once you get to Pie Town, this is the cafe to go to for absolutely wonderful pie.  love the color of the cafe, too.  Pink and blue are so "southwest".



The blog the other day told you our breakfast in Pie Town was PIE!.  TWO pieces of PIE apiece makes for a tasty breakfast.  Can't do that every day, but we sure enjoyed it that day!



Somewhere along our travels in western New Mexico we passed this windmill museum.  There were dozens of different windmills relocated from around the area - all sizes and configurations.  It was really like a big sculpture garden.



I had mentioned a couple of days ago that Joe had stopped in Albuquerque for a couple of days to make arrangements to get the loose neck to the radiator soldered. Here he is busily working away while I sat in the shade reading my book.  Such a great division of labor!


  
After leaving Albuquerque, we traveled along Route 66 and then up the Turquoise Trail and into the little town of about 200 called Cerrillos.  This is the town that used to have 21 saloons in it's boom town mining days in the 1880's and has been used for many old western films.  Notice the old buildings and the dirt roads.  This is Main Street, Cerrillos, folks.  Quiet, sleepy and just as it was in the old days.



In Cerrillos, we went into an old museum and I spotted these hanging on the wall.  I have never thought of hanging the broken necks of old bottles like this, but I really like it.  Now I am going to be on the look out for old bottle necks to collect.  Joe already thinks I collect too much junk, but really, how can I resist??  Just look at all the colors and shapes.  The museum also was a rock shop and those who know me, know I can't resist rocks.  I am always on the search, especially for agate.  Joe told me I could get anything I wanted in the shop so I did - some copper ore, a fossil fish from Wyoming and an abalone shell from California.  All have been shipped home and it will be like Christmas all over again when I get to unpack the box.



Another view of Cerrillos.  Dirt street, quiet, no traffic, adobe buildings.  Think 1880's.




We have spent the last 2 days in Santa Fe, puttering around, sightseeing and getting the computer straightened out and medications refilled.  Santa Fe is full of all the wonderful and colorful imports from Mexico that I remember seeing in Nogales south of Tucson, AZ when we visited in the early 1960s and 70s.  It was the kind of stuff I was expecting to see at the Jackalope in Albuquerque and they didn't have anymore. This was a courtyard entrance near the main Plaza in Santa Fe.  The courtyard was full of little shops - Mexican imports of pottery, tile and tin mirrors, paper flowers, chili ristras (strings of red chili peppers), Native American silver and turquoise jewelry, beautiful woven garments, art.   Just color everywhere you looked.



Another courtyard near the Plaza in Santa Fe.  This one was part of a restaurant.  The building was an old historic adobe two story building.  Like most old Spanish homes, it was plain adobe on the outside with a long porch but lush with plants in the center courtyard where all the rooms opened.  I could easily get used to living in a place like this!



Sample of the adobe architecture in the old part of Santa Fe.  The walls are made of adobe (mud and straw bricks) and covered with stucco.  I love this type of architecture.



Architectural detail on old building.  Note the clay tile bricks on the roof.

More about Santa Fe tomorrow.  Our plans are to travel north tomorrow through the Rio Grande Valley through Espanola, Chimayo and other small villages up to Taos and then on east toward the Texas border.  Joe has never visited this area and it has been a real eye-opener for him.  I've been here many times and absolutely love this area of New Mexico.  I can't wait to get his reaction to Chimayo and Taos. 

No comments:

Post a Comment